Wednesday, April 24, 2013

take from me all my trumpery

From all my lame defeats and oh! much more
From all the victories that I seemed to score;
From cleverness shot forth on Thy behalf
At which, while angels weep, the audience laugh; 
From all my proofs of Thy divinity,
Thou, who wouldst give no sign, deliver me.
Thoughts are but coins. Let me not trust, instead
Of Thee, their thin-worn image of Thy head. 
From all my thoughts, even from my thoughts of Thee, 
O thou fair Silence, fall, and set me free.
Lord of the narrow gate and the needle's eye, 
Take from me all my trumpery lest I die. 
-C.S. Lewis, "The Apologist's Evening Prayer"

What a prayer that is. 

I'm human. I'm messed up. I'm prideful -- I have to remind myself that the things I can do, I can do because of God. My thoughts are corrupted, even some of my thoughts of God. 

So, God, give me peace. Give me silence, so I can be set free from my own wacked thoughts. I don't want any of the extra stuff, any of the trumpery. 

Take from me all my trumpery lest I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. ~ ephesians 4:29